Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Monologue vs dialogue

"NASA is a conspiracy. They send a man to the moon. Lies, bunch of lies. No, not true. I know. I was hired. Christmas lunch. they came over. I cooked. There was turkey. No, chicken. I don't know. She's lying. All time. It's a conspiracy. All lies. Lunch, not dinner. There was turkey. They all lied. It was Christmas. When they sent the man to the moon. Hypocrisy. Bullshit. I don't like it. Not at all. "

Pause. Long pause. Distressed eyes looking around in panic.

"No. It won't happen . No christmas lunch. they are after me. I know."

Monlogue of a woman. Sitting beside me (a seat away), on the subway.

50 something. Salt and pepper, very disheveled hair. Untidy, unkempt look. Faded baggy denims. An oversized sweatshirt on a hot day. Torn, tattered sneakers. Panic stricken eyes.

She sat there and just talked to herself. Or to an imaginary person, who lives in her head.

I see quite a few like her. On the street. Mostly homeless. or junkies. Walking the street, sitting on the sidewalk, riding the subway. Talking to themselves. Or to some ghosts of their past. Or imaginary people. I will never know. Till I talk to them. Engage in a dialogue

But they only seem to talk to themselves. Engage in monologues.

3 comments:

  1. Oh man..what a tale..so well written. I felt so sad. So so so sad. A few words and you manage to say what you have to say. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey lovely blog. Your daughter has a beautiful name. Gia. What does it mean and how did you come up with it?

    Aisha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aisha, thanks for reading and liking:-) Haven;t been here for a while. Gia means a "Gift from God". I just always had in in my head in case I ever had a girl!

    ReplyDelete