Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The vibe of children

I was at this music session with my one year old daughter. We go there every Wednesday. It's an hour long. And come Tuesday evening, I am looking forward to it.

A very talented, mother of one, local Toronto musician, N, comes along, with her guitar and strums some songs for kid ranging in age from 0- 5 years. It is a relatively open space, everyone sits on the carpet on the floor, there are various musical instruments lying around for the children to discover. Tambourines, african drums, marracas, shakers, flutes. Also, some colored scarves for the kids to throw around in the air, or on each other. Scarves of muslin cloth in blues, oranges , pinks, reds, greens.

N, sits on a stool, with her classic brown chunky boots and her guitar. She croons. Fun songs. Old Mac Donald. Speckeled frogs. You are my sunshine.

The kids sit around her in a circle. Well, some sit. Some lay, some run around, some talk, some laugh, some cry, some sing, some dance, some shout.

See, that's the thing. They all do what they want to do. So in the moment. The whole vibe of that room in that one hour is so in the moment.

And that's why on every Wednesday, I just totally love being in that room full of children. Because in that space, and in that hour, there are no agendas. There is no false political correctness. There is no pretence. There is a musician. And then there are just these little people being who they are, doing what they want.

Here, I am tired , hence I shall just start bawling at the top of my voice. And stomp my feet while I do that.

I want that toy so I am just going to snatch it from you. Then if you look visibly upset or start bawling, I will either give it back to you or run away to the other end of the room with the toy.

I am tired and sleepy and I don't really care for the music so I will just lay here and sleep. Or pretend to.

I will dance like no one is watching.

I will smile at you not because it is nice to do that but because I feel like. Or don't.

I will continue staring at your face just because it is a new one.

I willl dig my nose. And analyze the find.

I will scratch my bum.

I will now make a poop in my diaper and stink up this whole room.

I will pull at the strings of N's guitar.

I will make up my own lyrics. And sing them at the top of my voice. Louder than everyone else.

I will pull my T-shirt up and show my friend my newly disovered belly button. After which, he will proceed to do the same.

I will play that big drum and then sit on it.

I will put the shaker in my mouth.

I will eat the orange scarf.

It's joy . Sheer joy. The vibe of these children.

3 comments:

  1. Oh I loved this one..hahaha..very well written and I could picture everything. Sounds like a fun day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No agenda plans are the best ones!! lovely to read abt yours....

    ReplyDelete